Well Being vs Doing Well...

Monday, 5 January 2015


Do you ever get fed up of new year's resolutions?

With all the new year's resolutions being thrust down your throat left, right and center about how much weight someone is going to lose, how much work they are going to get done or where they want to be by the end of the year, it can leave me slightly panicked.  

I am not a goals kind of person. I tend to put too much pressure on myself when I can't complete them and then end up setting myself back three days whilst I watch reruns of 'The Real Housewives' in my pajamas's.

Many goals at my age of to do with school or uni, getting good grades or completing assignments quicker, etc etc. I was talking to a friend recently about how this built up pressure makes university  become so stressful it doesn't seem worth doing. I think that is so sad that a skill and a passion now has become a chore (on top of paying £9000 a year for the pleasure).
 Is this mentality of getting the best grades and the best job more of a priority then your own well being? 

I myself am on a very stressful and intense course that can sometimes become very overwhelming. And some days it is hard to accept that you are not in the right head space to work today and to allow yourself to step back and do something different, even if it means missing out on valuable work time. 

Some of my tips for when feeling overwhelmed: 

1) Put whatever is bothering you away. Out of sight, out of mind really is true here, I'm not saying run but it is remarkable what difference it makes not to have to look at the thing that is stressing you out until you can get yourself in control. 

2) Get a grip on the situation. Move into a different room, make a drink and write down a list of everything that you need to do. 

3) Take a walk. When I'm having a real mental block the best thing for me is to go outside. Staring at your book or a computer screen is not going to help. Put on some music and switch off. 

4) Take your time. I know it's hard when you have a mountain of work to do, but nothing of quality can come from frantically trying to write down any old rubbish. Take frequent breaks and talk to people around you about anything other than what you are doing. 

5) Give 'em hell. This is something my mum saying if I am ever feeling bad about something. It is true though get in that kick-ass mentality, put on some upbeat music and get going. Because at the end of the day this won't last forever, you will get it done and it's going to be amazing. 

Lots of Love xoxo 

Also on a side note, I have had a clear up on my blog so let me know what you think about this post's style, the new format etc...