'Girl Online' Review...

Friday, 30 January 2015



'Penny has a secret. 
Under the alias Girl Online, Penny blogs her hidden feelings about friendship, boys, her crazy family and the panic attacks that have begun to take over her life. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets Noah: a gorgeous, guitar-strumming American. 
Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment on her blog. 
But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever' 

So... 
I'm not really sure what I was expecting really. I know I am not her target audience but I really love Zoella's hauls and beauty favourites, but a book is a different story. But I am happy to say, I actually really enjoyed it!

After my last book which I found quite hard going, it was such a nice airy book to read. It reminds me of a typical coming of age book like a Jacqueline Wilson, full of girly problems, boys and OMG's. 
But if you take it for what it is, which is not meant to be an awe inspiring novel, it's a great little book. 

In some places it can be a little bit too sugary sweet for my taste, but I think this just reflects the target audience, regardless of this I was still routing for the two main characters. 
However it does have small pearls of wisdom considering anxiety and the internet both good and bad. Both of which you can see Zoe's own experience, which is quite refreshing rather than the typical 'I am feeling anxious but I miraculously get over it by the second chapter'.  

 I feel like I have to address the whole ghost writer issue, which I know 'highly offended' some people and some of the twitter abuse Zoe received over it was so disgusting it made me want to buy it more to show my support. For me it does not bother me at all. If she is clever enough to have a book deal, I say good on her! Your not telling me all these people giving her grief, would turn down a book deal on the principle that a ghost writer would be involved. Why not support young people trying to get there voice out there even if they need some help along the way. 

I think with the amount of pressure that comes with having a vast majority of young adults hanging on your every word, that writing safety blanket had to be in place. 

Overall if you need some respite from hard-hitting fiction or just need something light to pick up, this book will warm you right up to the top.

My Rating 3.5/5

Let me know if you have read the book and your thoughts in the comments below!