5 things you should know before studying fashion...

Thursday, 22 January 2015

 
As some of you may know I study fashion...
So I thought I would give you a little insight into my degree. 



The 'Sink or Swim' Mentality
For design subjects in general a lot of your year is spent out of your comfort zone. Fashion is ridiculously demanding and 90% is completely independent. So I spend most of my time running around the city problem solving. In short, Youtube tutorials are your friend.


You will never have enough fabric, sleep or inspiration 
Remember when your bedroom was a beautiful pinterest-worthy space HA HA HA no. It is now covered in piles of fabric that you 'may use at some point', vintage garments and old curtains. And don't even think you will be able to organize this, as all free time is spent trying to re-gain a normal sleeping pattern whilst constantly writing list after list of ideas for garments and research.    


'The Devil Wears Prada' isn't just a film  
When people think of fashion many people immediately think of Miranda in 'The Devil Wears Prada'...and unfortunately some days I feel like Andy. Running through an endless list of tasks some of which may seem at the time impossible or completely ridiculous at the time, but I can almost guarantee once these are finished you feel like you can take on the world. 
Unless you are willing to work and focus 10 hours a day this degree is not for you. But the rewards of being able to shoot anyone down who thinks a Fashion degree is for blonde bimbo's, is the most satisfying experience.


 You're not the only one
In any demanding degree there are going to be points where breakdowns are necessary and dropping out and becoming a hermit is a viable option. But thankfully you will never be the only one! The family you gain whilst studying becomes your support system to laugh, cry, bitch and slowly lose your mind with. 


Trust your gut 
A lot of offering up your own work for critical analysis involves taking more of tutors ideas than your own sometimes through gritted teeth. Sometimes you will have to accept that they will know better, but I would definitely say more often than not if you really feel strongly against it, trust your gut. Be brave and make a decision, be prepared to bite the bullet and leap.

If anyone studies fashion or is looking into it please let me know I would love to hear your own stories! I am also thinking about documenting a day or a week in the life of a fashion student, so please let me know any thoughts!