The Books I Read On Holiday

Friday, 29 August 2014



'Everybody has to make choices. 
Some might break you. 
For seventeen-year-old Mia, surrounded by a wonderful family, friends and a gorgeous boyfriend decisions might seem tough, but they're all about a future full of music and love, a future that's brimming with hope. 
But life can change in an instant. A cold February morning...a snowy road...and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one. As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.

Whilst on holiday I wanted to read a few books that would be coming out in the cinema when I got home. So naturally I had to start with 'If I Stay' by Gayle Forman. The book was a lot shorter than I thought, but that definitely added to the book rather than took away from it. If you didn't already know, the book centers around Mia, who is involved in a car accident that kills her family and leaves her left in an inbetween space, given the choice either to stay or to leave. 
The book is so beautifully and sensitively written as you see her family and friends give her reasons to stay and see her memories that are pulling her to go...  


'When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas remembers is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade - a walled encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible stone maze. 

Thomas was sure that escape from the maze meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one knew what sort of life they were going back to. The earth is a wasteland. Government and order have disintergrated and now Cranks, people driven the murderous insanity by infectious diseases. Thomas can only wonder - does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? 

 This came as a recommendation to me as I really love Dystopian literature. I have previously read the Hunger Games before and I know it has been compared over and over to that trilogy. HOWEVER *drum roll* I prefer 'The Maze Runner' to 'The Hunger Games'.  
'The Maze Runner' begins with a boy called Thomas who is dropped into a place he has never been before with no memory surrounded only by boys. I read these both in the last few days and I am currently finishing the last one. I am definitely obsessed. If you like fast moving, heart pounding but an easy read I definitely would check these out. 


'Sutter's the guy you want at your party. Aimee's not. She needs help and it's up to Sutter to show Aimee a splendiferous time and then let her go forth and prosper. But Aimee's not like other girls and before long he's over his head. For the first time in his life he has the power to make a difference in someone else's life - or ruin it forever. 

I started watching this movie a while back and found myself hugely enjoying it, so naturally I stopped and read the book first...
It definitely reminded me of a John Hughes esk 80s movie. It is just a really good coming of age book  which John Green fans would definitely enjoy. It makes you have all the feelings and then takes them away. It also gives you some inter turmoil as to whether you like the lead character Sutter as he not-so-soberly struggles through the experiences facing a generic american teenager.  

Have you read any of these and had a different response ?

Images from Google