5 of my favourite books..

Saturday, 9 August 2014


So in celebration of National Book Lovers Day, I thought I would share five of my favourite books with you all...

 
1) 'Water For Elephants' by Sara Gruen 
If you have seen the film please completely ignore it. The book is one of the very few I have actually re-read over and over. It centers around Jacob who after the death of his parents leaves his life of becoming a vet behind and joins a travelling circus. The book is completely compelling and definitely a brilliant holiday read.


2) 'The Ocean of the End of the Lane' Neil Gaiman 
I have spoke about this book before as I completely fell in love with it. It is a modern day adult fairy story but think more Grimm's than Disney and it can be quite scary at times. Over all it is an easy read that really doesn't disappoint despite this.

 
3) 'The Tiger's Wife' by Tea Obreht 
I read this a while ago whilst starting my A levels. The book is split into three separate stories that all entwine in and out of each other. Including stories from the present day, the legend of a man called 'Death' and the bond between a blind girl and a tiger. It is written beautifully and if you enjoy books that come together just at the very end, you will enjoy this read.

 
4) 'Alice and Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass' by Lewis Carroll
This old battered book is definitely 'well loved' in my household as I used to carry it round with me like a doll. However the story itself always encaptured by imagination, my favourite part is Alice becoming stuck in the White Rabbits house and of course the Mad Hatter's Tea Party!


5) 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini 
I really don't believe I truly loved the written word enough until I read this book. 'The Kite Runner' by the same author definitely gets a lot more praise, but I having read both prefer this one. I don't know whether it is the bonds between the women in the story or the awe inspiring acts of bravery which unfortunately still are happening today which make the story so raw and emotional that I recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Have you read any of these books? If so what did you think of them? What are some of your favorites I would love to know!