'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simsion : Book Review

Wednesday, 14 May 2014

 'Love isn't an extact science- but no one told Don Tillman. A handsome thirty-nine-year-old geneticist, Don's never had a second date. So he devises The Wife Project, a scientific test to find a perfect partner. Enter Rosie- 'the world's most incompatible woman' - throwing Don's safe, ordered life into chaos.' 


When I first read the blurb of this book I discarded it as another rom-com novel that didn't interest me, however after seeing it pop up on blog posts all over I went back and bought it. And I am glad I did. This definitely is an unconventional love story between the lovable protagonist Don (who's character and speech remind me a lot of a Sherlock- like character) and Rosie a John Green heroine all grown up.  

The story follows Don as he decides he is ready to settle down, he decides to compile a questionnaire to send to possible wives as a way of getting the right person for the job. The novel is unexpectedly funny as Don reacts to social situations in awkward and endearing ways, this behavior however frustrating to read means by the end you are willing Don on to do the right thing. The novel is completely unconventionally charming and I enjoyed every chapter. Just remember to not judge the book by it's cover ... or it's blurb!

The next book I will be reading is ... 'The Drowned World' by J.G Ballard.