Gone Girl : Book Review

Friday, 18 April 2014

'Who are you? What have we done to each other? These are the questions Nick Dunne finds himself asking on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears'  



Firstly can I just WOAH and also HOW but mostly WOAH. This book really keeps you from doing anything else productive with your day as it was impossible to stop reading, and even when you finally decide that you really do have to move now as your bath is stone cold or you do actually have to get out of your pajamas today, you still are imagining what you would say if you were thrown into a police interrogation or opened the door to relentless paparazzi.

I picked this book up by chance that there seemed to be quite a few copies on the Waterstones shelf and that usually means that it is either written by John Green or is worth a read. The book is written alternatively by a husband and wife with each chapter changing from the husband's present day to the wife's previously written diary. Gillian Flynn is notorious for her plots taking sudden twists and 'Gone Girl' is no exception. Without giving too much away, the book has one of the most jaw dropping twists I have ever read and judging by many reviews, a lot of people felt the same way. I found it equally chilling and captivating as I tried to unwind the clue's to Amy's disappearance, as like the characters in the novel, I too was running out of time or pages to find out what happened to Nick's beloved wife, which for the most part made me feel that I was definitely going to be abducted before finishing the book. However the expertly written plot and razor sharp characters meant this book becomes so believable when read that it is easy to see why critics are raving about this book.

My personal favorite aspect of the book is the few sharp lines expertly inserted at the end of a few chapters that make your gut drop as your perception of a character is utterly shattered in a few short words. I did thoroughly enjoy this book as one of the most engaging I have read however the ending I feel, felt not as well thought out as the rest of the intricately woven plot. But I would thoroughly recommend looking for a book to captivate and excite them.

HOW EXCITING... according to a very relaiable source *cough* Youtube *cough* Gone Girl is being captured on the silver screen staring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike released October 2014.

The next book I will be reading is ... 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman